Thai Soup is So Versatile Anytime of Year
(Modify depending on preference and food sensitivities)
- 3/4 lbs of boneless skinless chicken or an equivalent amount of tofu or fish whichever you prefer. Or just make it completely with vegetables
- 1 bunch of scallions
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped (I use my mini processor for both ginger and garlic and do that together)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced with ginger)
- Shredded or cut carrots
- Shredded or cut zucchini
- Diced bok choy
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms (I prefer portabella, but some people like shiitake)
- Miracle noodles made from Konjac root plant (available in Whole Foods or through Amazon)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock (I use my homemade bone broth. See recipe here)
- 1 can organic coconut milk (I use full fat, but I do not eat grains. If you eat grains, you might want to substitute low-fat coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce ( I use Thai Kitchen, it is gluten-free, non-GMO)
- 1 tsp lime zest
- Fresh minced herbs such as cilantro or basil
- 2 tsp cooking oil. (I use Avocado oil and add a splash of toasted sesame oil)
- Salt and Pepper and Jalapeno pepper to taste. (I make it mild and my men add the red pepper to their soup bowls)
- a couple of stalks of fresh lemongrass (do not cut it too small) You will want to remove after cooking.
Directions for Thai Soup on the Stove
- Heat Your Oil in a Large bottom pot.
- Add garlic ginger mix with thinly sliced green onions to the oil. Cook for about 5 minutes-stirring to keep the garlic and ginger from burning.
- Add your other vegetables –mushrooms, carrots, zucchini, and bok choy and cook them for another 4 minutes
- Add the soup stock, your protein chicken or tofu, and fish sauce and cook until the tofu or chicken is thoroughly cooked. For chicken, it’s probably about 20 minutes. When I am in a rush I use cooked chicken and I just add it to the bowl shredded right before serving.
- Add in your stalks of lemongrass. Make sure they are larger enough to see and remove before eating.
- Remove chicken or tofu and chop up or shred
- Add the coconut milk, put the chicken or tofu back in, and add your herbs and lime zest. You can add everything back directly into the bowl if you made a lot of stock.
- Just heat things up, remove the lemongrass, and serve the soup with the lime wedge.
- Have the salt, pepper, and other spices on the table for your family.
- Follow the instructions for preparing the miracle plant-based noodles. Add them directly to the bowl and pour the soup over it.
Many recipes I have seen add coconut milk sooner to the soup, but I do not add until the very end of my cooking. I find it is fresher this way. When you refrigerate your soup, the coconut milk will solidify, but it will still taste yummy each time you heat it up. Eat within a few days or freeze for later. Please let me know if you make this recipe and any modifications you made and love!
Eating for Health and Happiness also includes just a touch of love!!!